Wednesday, March 16, 2011

JENGA 5.0 (Merging concepts)


To jumpstart the design process our instructor told us that we were to merge designs with another group and create an eight story complex. Simple enough. The first group beaucoup met with was team angling, in which their name says it all. Our designs are completely different. While ours features many curves and fluid motions, team anglings structure uses an abundance of complicated geometric planar surfaces. My first thought was “bring on the next group!” After studying their design, I got an idea to place their structure beneath ours and use their tentacle like extrusions as if they were tree roots, thus altering the form of both structures. I was running sketch up as always, and I personally felt that we might have taken an approach that takes longer than forty minutes to follow out. I really think that we could create a very interesting design given the right amount of time. I also felt like both teams bonded very well. But we got lost in the design because we found ourselves still working after Patrick said next. I’m still not sure what to think about that. The next group we worked with was circuit, which structurally I felt there were some great connections. However we seemed to have trouble trying to explain the merger of the two designs. At this point it was a nice structure with no meaning. I feel we would also have to achieve our design through the use of materials, which is not enough to bring the concepts together. I really look forward see who we are assigned to work with, I’m confident as designers we will have a cohesive design either way. 

No comments: